In 1920 Museum of International Folk Art founder Florence Dibell Barlett first visited New Mexico and stayed at the well known San Gabriel Ranch. In the 1930's she bought and lovingly restored the 70 acre ranch renaming it El Mirador. Ms. Bartlett loved bright colors and light filled rooms so she added a number of stained glass windows. The glass maker adapted her favorite Native American beadwork patterns into the designs. The window over the front door provided the inspiration for this piece.